Calling All Artists
Apply to be a part of Trashique 2022!
On behalf of the Fresno Art Museum, we are thrilled to invite you to submit (or resubmit for those who were previously selected to participate in TRASHIQUE® 2020) your application to participate in our sixth TRASHIQUE® art fashion show. This outrageously fun and stylish affair that was originally scheduled for Saturday, April 4, 2020 and postponed due to COVID will now be held Saturday, November 5, 2022. As in years past, the evening will include art, music, dancing, food, cocktails, and Fresno’s most anticipated fashion show of the year, featuring ensembles created by artists out of what most people regard as trash. It has an exciting NEW location at St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church just behind the Fresno Art Museum on Orchard and Yale Streets.
TRASHIQUE® 2022 is THE PRIMARY FUNDRAISER for the Fresno Art Museum in 2022 and will coincide with A Queen Within the huge international fashion exhibition at FAM. Proceeds from the event directly support the stellar exhibitions and programs at FAM. The event will be highly publicized and is expected to sell out. We look forward to making it equally if not more successful than in years past!
Please review the following information and let us know if you would like to be a TRASHIQUE® 2022 artist. For reasons of time and logistics, we can only accept the top 50 garments in the fashion show. Those who were selected to participate in the TRASHIQUE® 2020 will have priority. The TRASHIQUE® Committee will select and contact the artists who make the cut! The Online Artist Participation Form is due no later than Thursday, August 4, 2022. PLEASE SUBMIT A NEW FORM EVEN IF YOU WERE SELECTED AS A PARTICIPATING ARTIST FOR THE 2020 EVENT.
If you’d like to participate as an artist in TRASHIQUE® 2022, we ask that you:
• Complete the Online Artist Participation Form below:
• If you have not previously participated in a TRASHIQUE® event at FAM, please submit a PORTFOLIO. We are looking for the “best of the best.” Due to the popularity of the event, we can only take a limited number of artists. (See participation form for more details.)
• Attend an informational meeting. A mandatory meeting for the selected participating artists will be held at the Fresno Art Museum on Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 6pm.
• Begin thinking about your materials. We ask that all garments be created from recycled materials. Look around your house, your place of business, your friend’s house, anywhere really, for interesting materials that might normally be considered trash. Past artists have used things like plastic bottles, used shrink-wrap, campaign buttons, dryer lint, mirrors, scratch-off lottery tickets, mini-blinds, just about anything you can repurpose to make a garment.
• Design and create a garment. Express your creativity! The ensemble can be designed and created from head to toe. In addition to the actual garment, you can create accessories (jewelry, handbag, footwear, legwear, headwear). Professional make-up artists and hairstylists will be there to finalize your model’s look. This is a mandatory part of the event. Go to TRASHIQUE® or search online for “Fresno Art Museum Trashique” to get a feel for the event from past Trashiques and some of the amazing garments created in previous years. The artist themes that will inspire the collections for this year's event are as follows:
- El Anatsui (1944- ) Nigerian assemblage artist
- Ruth Asawa (1926-2013) San Francisco-based American sculptor
- Hieronymus Bosch (1450-1516) Netherlandish Renaissance painter
- Louise Bourgeois (1911-2010) French-American artist
- Marc Chagall (1887-1985) Russian-French painter
- Yayoi Kusama (1929- ) Japanese sculptor and installation artist
- Maxfield Parrish (1870-1966) American painter and illustrator
- Robert Rauschenberg (1925-2008) American assemblage artist and painter
- Kara Walker (1969- ) American silhouettist and installation artist
- Kehinde Wiley (1977- ) American portrait painter
• Recruit a model. You are responsible for recruiting your own model. An open Model Call will take place at the Fresno Art Museum in November (date to be announced) if you need assistance in finding a model. Models must have experience.
• Your model(s) must attend all rehearsals. No exceptions. Failure to do so will result in both artist and model not participating in the event. Rehearsal dates to be determined during the final weeks of October and the week before the event in November.
• Attend final rehearsal with your model(s) on Friday, November 3, 2022. This is to make sure that everything runs smoothly on the night of the big event.
• Be available all-day Saturday, November 5, 2022. With 50 models, the hair and make-up artists will need some time to work their magic. We will schedule time slots when we are closer to the event and make it a fun pre-party for everyone.
• Attend TRASHIQUE® 2022. You and your model(s) will receive complimentary admission. There will be no additional complimentary tickets given.
• Appear with your model(s) on the runway and during a Meet and Greet at the venue, immediately following the event.
• Allow us to exhibit your garment. The Fresno Art Museum may work on an exhibition of a display of a number of TRASHIQUE® 2022 garments after the event. More information to come!
• Each participating artist will be listed in the program and will be seated in a special section. We know that you will want your friends and family to attend this special event, but please note that they will have to purchase tickets and won’t necessarily be seated with you. They will still have a great time!
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call or email Tasha at the Fresno Art Museum at (559) 441-4221 x106, or email@example.com
We hope you will join us in helping to make TRASHIQUE® 2022 another très chic success!
Michele Ellis Pracy, Executive Director & Chief Curator
Tasha Mendoza, Events Manager