Join the FAM Volunteer Team!
The Fresno Art Museum is always seeking individuals who care about people, are excited about sharing their knowledge, and most of all, who love and care about art. If you have a background in customer service, art history, or education, all the better, but not required.
Office Support & Curatorial
- Men Who Cook (2nd Saturday of June)
- Family Day (Held three times a year)
- Member Openings
- Art Under the Stars
We are looking for friendly, outgoing, individuals who are lifelong learners and have a love and interest in the visual arts and the history of art, enjoy sharing knowledge with adults and/or children, and are willing to attend artist and curatorial gallery lectures and other docent trainings and commit at least two volunteer hours per week to the Museum on a regular and on-going basis.
- Good Communication Skills - Feeling comfortable speaking to groups is essential. Being able to speak clearly, articulately and with confidence about your subject is also important. Docents that are good at “storytelling” are great.
- Customer Service - To make visitors feel welcome at the museum as they contemplate art, view rotating exhibitions, and interact with artists and others about the creative process, as well as helping to implement high-quality education programs that will complement the exhibitions and truly serve our diverse community. Although we like our docents well-versed on the exhibitions and the visual arts, we look more for friendly warmth and personalities that can quickly assess their audience and gear their tour of the exhibits accordingly.
- Research - Although not required, docents that have the ability to read about and research the subject of the exhibitions on their own and share with other docents and Museum staff are always appreciated.
- Must be willing to occasionally work on weekends and evenings for special events. Must feel comfortable in the role of gallery guide-- not leading a group, but being available in the galleries to answer questions about the exhibitions. Must be flexible to attend in-gallery lectures before openings of new exhibitions, usually three to four times per year and most often on Thursday or Friday afternoons. For docents interested in working with children, must be available during the week for school tours.
- The best docents lead an interactive tour, not just lecturing about a subject. They have an ability to engage their audience and encourage participation and dialogue while viewing exhibits using a modified form of VTS (Visual Teaching Strategies).
- Must be willing to participate in docent training opportunities.
- Must commit to being available for tours at a minimum of two hours per week for a minimum of one year (vacations or illness, of course, are exceptions.) Must be willing to occasionally work on weekends and evenings for special events. Must feel comfortable in the role of gallery guide-- not leading a group, but being available in the galleries to answer questions about the exhibitions. Must be flexible to attend in-gallery lectures before openings of new exhibitions, usually three to four times per year and most often on Thursday or Friday afternoons. For docents interested in working with children, must be available during the week for school tours.
FAM does occasionally utilize volunteer interns from local colleges and universities. They have most commonly worked in Special Events, Curatorial, and Education. Please submit a cover letter describing exactly what you want to do and what sort of weekly/hourly commitment you are required to make and for what period of time, the class, school and name of the instructor you will be working under, along with your resume, to our HR Department. If we are interested, we will contact you to set up an interview with the appropriate department.
All applications can be emailed to our HR Department by clicking this link or sent by mail to:
Fresno Art Museum
2233 N First Street
Fresno, CA 93703